9.25.2011

I say "I think" 6 times in this post.

I've come to realize that this blog has become 90% about things I do, and 10% about things I think. This is strange, because I feel like in my life, I only do about 10% of the things that I think about. For every human interaction I engage in, I've probably simulated 10 interactions. Some people would probably write that off as introversion, but I don't really think that's what the whole introversion/extroversion identity is about. I tell myself and others that I'm not an introvert because I start getting loopy without other people around. Being an extrovert and being gregarious aren't synonymous. Not in my book at least.

So yeah, back to the whole "doing vs. thinking" thing. I think I can chalk up the discord to my perceived reception of the various blog posts. It's easy to throw together a write-up of my latest project and say, "Hey, look at this thing I did!" and post it on Facebook, because I imagine those posts have a more universal appeal than a "I feel like/I think that/I believe in" post. When it comes down to it, I think my primary motivation is to entertain viewers, or just pique their interest and rack up those precious pageviews. I think I can pretty confidently say that little views-over-time graph on the blog stats page doesn't directly correspond to my self-esteem level, but the influence is definitely noticeable.

Man. Even just two paragraphs of this actionless character development is pushing the limits of what I perceive to be the interest level of my audience. Then again, most of the people that actually read these either have a familial obligation to love me or just choose to do so of their own volition, and so they're probably in for the long haul.

I read my friends (I say this, even though "our friends" is probably more accurate for most of you) Levon and Ashley's blog pretty religiously, even though it intimidates me a little bit. He's found that perfect blend of doing/thinking content, and it probably doesn't hurt that he's just a good writer. Also, I would think that his life is just a more colorful story and lends itself to being told easily than my day-to-day goings-on. Of course that probably has a lot to do with attitude and perspective. At any rate, I imagine he has to cut details out of his posts, while I usually have to embellish mine to make them substantial.

So I guess instead of desiring a more interesting blog I should work on having a more interesting life. Or at the very least recognizing that my life is interesting. I mean, you did read this whole thing didn't you? You deserve a picture.
My dad (on the right) was a hipster before you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure if you just put whatever you want on this blog, the flow of content will be genuine and awesome. Your dad has a cool stache etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think" it's refreshing to read a blog about someone who actually does things and doesn't just talk about themself. And it's not an obligation. I actually happen to think you're cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P. S. Did you know dad used to smoke a pipe?

    ReplyDelete