2.14.2012

"I like the shadows in this one," etc...

Been perusing my high school and college artworks (I use this term loosely), and... well...

Funny how the stuff I put the most effort into and processed the shit out of now make me nauseous, while many pieces that I completely overlooked or discarded now give me hope for poor high school Daniel.

I think I've come to understand that this is to be expected and I will constantly be looking back at old work and fighting the urge to kill it with fire and spears. I don't know quite how long the embarrassment window is, but I sorely miss the journals and doodles of my youth (particularly one schematic of a dormant volcano/airplane hangar complete with lava tube runways).

At any rate, here's some originally overlooked stuff I'm not entirely ashamed of:
(I resisted the urge to do some photoshop tweaking on less-than-stellar images)

Love me some squares.

Cliche verre photogram technique. Paint on glass exposed onto photo paper.
Should've experimented more with it.

Holga print with custom-made negative holder.

Holga print with custom-made negative holder.
Kinda digging the simplicity in this one.

From my ever-so-brief foray into printmaking. Linoleum cut print.
I don't even know what I made this for.

Crossroads 2011 is not a real thing. I think.
Working on layers/masking in photoshop maybe?

This image caused me a lot of strife.
"Oh, Daniel, this is so morbid."
"Oh, Daniel, is this one about death too?"
"Oh, Daniel, I see that death motif coming up again."
I just liked the textures. Jeez.

Entered this one for a logo contest. Didn't win.
Maybe they should get a better URL.

Probably should've majored in Trespassing. 

Turns out I'm kind of a one-trick pony with the whole "abandoned stuff" theme.
Not even a very original trick to begin with. Rip Van Winkle's Plymouth.

2 comments:

  1. shew. love that first one. and the squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved the 'dead things' and 'abandoned houses' photos. I really dig them a lot. haha not 'morbid' to me.

    ReplyDelete