9.02.2012

Roadtrip: Day 13

8-24-12 I-10 TO YUMA
Friday, August 24th was not the most enjoyable day of driving. It was hot. I was on the interstate for most of the day. There wasn't much to see.

I left Tuscon mid-morning and headed north on I-10, and made a detour when I saw signs for Saguaro National Park. I guess I was in a bad mood or just antsy, but it felt like a waste of time, so I drove back to the Interstate and cruise controlled it all the way to Yuma, AZ. I'd had the Grapes of Wrath playing in the car for awhile now, so crossing over into California came with a sense of foreboding. Will there be work? Will the old jalopy break down in the desert? Will I be able to afford more than fried dough?




I had heard from a couple people about the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area, just across the border on I-8, and thought I might check them out, noticing a line in the atlas that looked to me like a short cut. Ted Kipf Rd, a couple miles north of exit 159, was pretty hard to find amid the sandy landscape, and I should've taken that as a sign to head back to clearly-marked pavement. Instead I turned off onto the half sand, half gravel road that promised to connect to Highway 111 up at the Salton Sea.

The first mile was pretty basic gravel road driving, slowing now and then for the sandy patches. In the second mile the sand started to get a little deeper, and the first seeds of doubt began germinating in the back of my mind, but I ignored them and kept going. By the third mile, I was a full-on dune buggy, surfing over deep sand and sliding back and forth across the road. Panic set in, and I slowed down, pulling into a solid-looking wash in hopes of doing a three-point turn and sneaking back to the hardtop with my tail between my legs. 

What followed was the longest three-point turn in history. I backed out of the wash, turning the car south, then managed to drive a whole five feet before the car just stopped moving. I tapped the gas experimentally a couple times, to no effect. I tried the reverse, forward, reverse, forward dance. Nothing. I dug out the tires and laid gravel in the trenches. Nothing. I pushed. I pulled. I pried. I prayed. Nothing. By the grace of God, I had one faltering bar of reception on my phone, so I broke down and called roadside assistance, who dispatched a winch truck from Jimbo's 24 Hour Towing in nearby Winterhaven for my rescue.

I sat in the 105 degree heat for an hour feeling like an idiot, until finally, a faint shimmer on the horizon! A big 4x4 dually winch truck rolled up, swimming through the sand like a tank, and stout older man climbed out. Dave, a 36 year towing veteran, then proceeded to get his rig stuck while trying to turn it around. Confidence -inspiring. "Well looky here! Her 4x4 fuse is blown. Shoulda checked that before I left!" He let some air out of the tires while I shoveled out a path for him, and eventually we got him back to his original position. "Well I guess I'll have to reverse her back to the hard stuff then turn around and reverse her all the way back here," muttered Dave. "Well I'll be here when you get back," I offered, like a wise-ass. Another 15 minutes passed, and he was back, ready to hook me up to the winch, but wait, the winch is broken too, you say? Of course it is. Between the two of us we jerry-rigged a length of chain with hooks, and he pulled me out of the hole I had dug myself into. "Still pretty soft here, I reckon I'll drag you out to the harder stuff," he said, and for the next mile I over-corrected back and forth across the road, feeling more like a wakeboarder than a driver. I professed my eternal gratitude to Dave, and scurried back to the Interstate feeling tired with a blend of anger and relief.

Mile 3000 came and went, a mile of flat interstate marked by nothing more than a trio of languid dust devils. In the early dark, I drove north on Highway 111. Passing the Salton Sea and its oppressive stagnant salt air. Through Mecca and Thermal and Coachella. Just outside of the southern entrance to Joshua Tree National Park, I pulled off the road and crawled into my sleeping quarters in the back of the car.




TOTD: School of Seven Bells - Dust Devil (semi-acoustic version)

No comments:

Post a Comment